Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration line Review

Happy Autumn! It's that time of year again where you may or may not need to tweak your hair regimen. If you've been following me on Instagram (@BesosFeron) you know I have been doing some experimenting with different products, methods, and regimens. About a month ago, I was on a mission to find either the Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil line or the Manuka Honey line. Alas, I went to every CVS in my area and they were either sold out or didn't carry it so luckily my local Target had the Manuka Honey line. This line promotes itself as being a dry hair recipe and typically in the cooler months, preventing dry hair is of the utmost importance to naturals. 

The three advertised ingredients are specifically for preventing moisture loss and hydrating the hair. As stated by the brand: Manuka Honey has anti-inflammatory properties to sooth the scalp and helps create moisturizing barrier; Mafura Oil has high levels of beneficial oleic acid to help replenish oils stripped from the hair; and African Rock Fig contains antioxidant vitamin C which helps to keep the hair looking vibrant. Now that sounds like the perfect recipe for a cold weather product line! I have used the entire line and I must say I was impressed with some of the line. Here's my review and results of how it worked for me.



Intensive Hydration Complex

The intensive hydration complex is a potent treatment that is said to absorb quickly to encourage a healthy scalp and beautiful hair. It also states it leaves the hair manageable and resilient. I used this oil as a pre-poo treatment. I followed the directions by applying it directly to my scalp and added a few drops to the length of my hair. I wrapped my hair up in a plastic bag then a towel and let my body heat do the rest. Application is very easy as it is in a dropper; this allowed me to use only the amount I needed. I wouldn't say this product is a must have as it's simply an oil but I do agree it with the statement on encouraging a healthy scalp. My scalp felt very dry, itchy, and scaly before using this oil on my scalp. Also, my hair felt great and very hydrated. Yes, you can get the same results from making your own hot oil treatment but you can't beat the ingredients and I neglected to state 10% of the sales go to the community commerce initiative to support the women led businesses and their communities that supply the ingredients for the Shea Moisture products. So would I repurchase this... maybe I did like it and had great results and have used it in other ways such has just to seal my ends and to oil my scalp. 

Intensive Hydration Shampoo

The shampoo cleanses while infusing hair with intense moisture and shine enhancing nutrients.This is the only product of the line that doesn't contain all of the advertised ingredients. Honey is not listed as an ingredient which is odd since this is the Manuka Honey line. Moving on, this shampoo is sulfate free but lathers a lot. I used very little of the shampoo because there was so much lather which I don't mind. If the shampoo doesn't lather I get worried and add more thinking I need more to clean my hair. This shampoo has great slip and I was able to run my fingers through it. Once I rinsed it out my curls were popping. I agree with the claim of it infusing the hair with intense moisture. I definitely recommend this shampoo and would re-purchase it if I ever finish it lol. A little goes a long way. 

Intensive Hydration Conditioner

This rinse out conditioner instantly softens and detangles while infusing hair with intense moisture and shine enhancing ingredients. I was not a fan of this conditioner. The conditioner did not soften my hair nor did it have any slip to aid in detangling! My hair sucked it up. I used a good third of the bottle because my hair kept drinking it up as if there was no product on my hair. The consistency is of a butter and is very thick yet water is the first ingredient. As seen in the picture, I was unable to detangle so I attempted to use a wide tooth comb which I had to give up on and how my hair just soaked it all in. I also tried to use this product as a leave in styler but my hair didn't dry and it there wasn't enough hold. I can't recommend this product for anyone with kinky, high porosity, thick hair. I won't be repurchasing this product. 

Intensive Hydration Hair Masque

This intensely deep conditioning hair masque infuses hair with a powerful dose of moisture and nutrients. Can we just pause for how AMAZING this hair masque is!!! Lets fast forward to will I repurchase it... YES! Do I recommend it... YES! The consistency is like any other Shea Moisture hair masque but this one has amazing slip and penetrates the hair shaft. I was able to finger detangle, my hair was soft and moisturized, and my hair had a great shine too it as seen in the pictures. My hair felt transformed like butter! If you've used the TGIN honey hair masque and you liked those results, you'll receive the same if not better results with this hair masque. The honey in this product has a strong presence and my hair loved it. It really softened my hair making it more manageable and easier to style. I can already say this will make my favorites list for 2014! Nothing more to say but let the results speak for themselves.  

Hopefully I will be able to check out the Jamaican Black Castor Oil line out as well. If I'm lucky, the Fall World Natural Hair Show will have the line available at a good price and I can review it for you all because I have seen some great results! In summery, the hair masque and the oil will definitely be in rotation this fall and winter. I will use the shampoo but I have others that are my favorite so it will have to fit in where it can lol. 

Questions, comments, or your own experiences with this line please leave them below.

Besos, Feron 

Comments

  1. Did you use the masque bfre or after shampooing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used it after the rinse out conditioner so I shampooed, conditioned, then used the masque.

      Delete
    2. What does the ingredients say?

      Delete
  2. I've heard a lot of great things about this line...must try it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me just say that this is the best DC that I have ever used! I absolutely love this masque. It definitely does what it says it's supposed to do. This is way better that the Yucca Masque from Shea Moisture. I have also been a fan of the Raw Shea Butter, but the Manuka masque is hands down the best for my fine, coily hair.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

View-Worthy