Uncle Funky's Daughter Defunk Hair Refresher review

September is here! Fall is right around the corner and that means it's protective styling season. As you all know, I am currently rocking kinky twists as my protective style. I don't want to say I'm challenging myself to keep my hair protected but for now I'm going to see how long I can go. One issue with protective styles, such as braids or twists, is how to care for your scalp. If you are pretty active or sweat heavy in your scalp, you will want to wash your hair often but this can lessen the length of time your "longterm" protective style will last. If possible, I would clean/wash the hair once every 3-4 weeks to help the style stay neat and intact but what to do during time between washes? In the August HoneyBee Inspired box, Uncle Funky's Daughter hair refresher was the featured item. The following will be my review of it and what I'm doing to keep my scalp clean and flake free until my wash.




Uncle Funky's Daughter Hair Refresher Tonic
-The product claims to be a herbal hair and scalp cleanser loaded with plant extracts, cleanses and soothes the scalp, neutralizes odor and stimulate hair growth, and works well for starter and mature locs or braid/twist styles. The product is also free of parabens, petroleum, and silicones. 
- For me, this hair refresher works very well to neutralize orders after a work out. I sweat very hard in my scalp. After I work out, I'll sit under a fan and let my hair dry out (my hair is soaked I sweat so hard) then I will spray my scalp with the refresher and massage it in. I love the smell. It's a mix of lavender and lemon and a flowery scent. I don't use the refresher more than twice a week because the fragrance lingers and it lasts for more than one day at keeping the sweaty smell away. If my scalp is feeling a little tight or itchy, this refresher does make it feel better. It has a slight tingle/cooling sensation to it. I only spray it on my scalp and will use plain water to moisturize my hair. I can say this product lives up to all of its claims and I am very satisfied with how well it is letting me stretch out my wash day. I give it 5 out of 5 stars and recommend it for keeping your long term protective style fresh.
Clean, flake free, build up free scalp! 3 weeks in!



The UFD Hair refresher may help with odor, itching and cleansing the scalp, but to be on the safe side I use an oil mixture of grape seed oil (as my carrier oil) and a few drops of peppermint and rosemary oil which have antibacterial properties. Peppermint oil is also a natural astringent that balances out the oil production and ph of your scalp. It moisturizes your dry scalp and cures dandruff, inflammation or oily scalp, and gets rid of head lice. Rosemary oil, which is an ingredient in the hair refresher, cleanses the scalp and helps to relieve irritated, dry flaky scalps. Rosemary oil is also said to stimulate blood circulation for hair growth which is what I believe the product's claim on hair growth is referring to. 




I hope this review was helpful and my tips on stretching out wash day. I plan on washing my hair on week 4 or 5. The goal is to keep this style in for 8-10 weeks. Keeping your scalp clean and your hair moisturized and sealed are keys to having a successful long term protective style. I only spray my hair with water or spray leave in, I use a cone free natural leave in conditioner, and oil my scalp with the mentioned oil mixture above. I'm sure my twists will begin to fuzz up once I wash them but I'm okay with that since I am almost at a month of wearing them and they still look fresh. Any questions or comments, leave them below :)

Besos, Feron

Comments

View-Worthy